Wild Ivory Eco Lodge is located in the ‘Big 5’, Welgevonden Game Reserve which forms part of the larger Waterberg Biosphere district. To ensure the best possible game viewing experience for our guests, we only use open-top 4×4 game viewing vehicles. All game drives are conducted by our experienced and knowledgeable game rangers, who are locally familiar with the reserve as well as the movements of the ‘Big 5’ within the reserve.
Welgevonden is an open-system reserve - therefore the wildlife can move freely throughout the park, so there is never any guarantee of seeing all of the animal species during your stay. However, the reserve offers some of the best game viewing and natural scenic beauty sights available in South Africa. During each game drive we offer our guests a unique, and unforgettable experience where a large number of birds, animal and other species will be seen amongst some of the most spectacular panoramic scenery.
Guests staying at our Eco Lodge will be unlucky not to see at least three of the ‘Big 5’ as well as many other species during their stay. Due to the protection offered to the animals in the Reserve, most species are very comfortable co-existing with the game vehicles. Close sightings are often a common occurrence, allowing our guests to take advantage of some excellent photographic opportunities.
Typical Day at Wild Ivory Eco Lodge
(Please Note: the below Summer times may change slightly during the winter months)
- 05h00 – Wakeup call with a hot beverage on the deck
- 05h30 – Morning Game Drive (approximately 3 hours) Coffee/Tea, Bottled Water, snacks are served
- 09h00 – A hot breakfast is served along with a selection of fruits, yoghurt, cereals, fruit juice, coffee and tea
- 10h00 – 14h00 – Time for our guests to just relax - have a quick nap, read a book, cool-down in our plunge-pool, or just watch the animal antics going on at our private water hole.
- 14h00 – A light lunch is served on the deck overlooking the water hole.
- 16h00 – Afternoon, Evening & Night Game Drive (approximately 3 hours). Water and snacks are served. On this game drive we will stop to enjoy sun-downers and light snacks.
- 19h00 – Return from the game drive and freshen up
- 19h30 – Dinner is served on the deck. Let our chef inspire you with cuisine ranging from: traditional African potjiekos, traditional braais or simply home cooked comfort dishes. A selection of in-season vegetables and a pudding accompanies all meals.
Generally, this is a typical day at Wild Ivory Eco Lodge. However, on some occasions the above timetable may vary depending on lucky game sightings – a lion kill! - or simply due to our guest’s personal preferences.